Pages

When you make a conscious choice to be happy, no one can take it away from you because no one gave it to you: you gave it to yourself.

A quote from April Green's - Bloom For Yourself Journal

Wednesday 1 November 2017

WOYWW 439

I can't believe I am saying this but this is my first WOYWW of the year - please bear with me and apologies for long post!

Those of you who know me and are following on other social media will know my life has changed alot this year. I still craft occasionally, but have lost my mojo big time. This has been hampered by inability to sit/stand at my desk for too long and my creativity concentration is poor.

I am also supporting one of my dearest friends who has suffered greatly this year with her Depression and Anxiety. I've needed my strength to be there for her, help her by driving her to appointments and spending time with her when she's needed me.

The biggest change in my life happened just over six months ago. You all know I am a massive Bristol Rovers fan - well earlier this year in conjunction with the Supporters club, they held a meeting for disabled supporters with a view to starting an Official Bristol Rovers Disabled Supporters Association.

I went to this meeting and came home having agreed, along with another gentleman, to set up and run the DSA.
I am officially Zoe Kirkby - Secretary BRFC DSA
Yep. That. Is. Massive. Secretary doesn't really cover it. I am more like a DLO - Disability Liaison Officer/Secretary!

So over the last six months we have worked hard to set up the DSA. Not an easy task. You see there wasn't anything in place. I had to set up email/Paypal, work out procedures and daily admin. Sort a bank account. Create membership. Sort a website. Liaise with Bristol Rovers and all other football clubs who visit Rovers. 
Myself and Clive (the other chap who has taken on role as Chair) have met up a number of times to plan, prepare and get things running.
Which led to us holding our first open meeting in September.

I am loving my role and am passionate about what I am doing. We've already made a difference - asking the club to put in place shelters over wheelchair areas, more accessible toilets and also how away fans are greeted. We are working with the club to ensure matchdays are enjoyable for all. There's still so much to do. But slowly we will get there.

So my desk - well I thought I would share photos from my recent meetings because that's what my desk looks like these days!
So first pics are from Yeovil Town FC. I attended a meeting that saw all clubs in the South West and South Wales being invited. Over 30 delegates attended.
 Couldn't resist having a pic with Yeovil Town Manager Darren Way!
These are our view across Huish Park - Yeovil's ground.

I've been issued a Staff Pass which grants me general access around The Memorial Stadium - so I can go anywhere in our stadium including the away end which allows me to go and meet and greet the disabled away fans. (Yes I know my name is spelt wrong)
 I am meeting lots of people in my role and last Friday I was invited to meet the new Commercial Director at Rovers to chat over coffee! Tom Gorringe is a fantastic guy who is very supportive of what we are trying to do.

 In between everything I am resting up as this takes a huge effort on my part. But I wouldn't change it. I feel my confidence and self esteem have both positively increased. I feel confident I can go into any meeting or event and be able to hold my own. In fact, I have been asked to speak at a meeting at the end of the month. It's a networking meeting for businesses owned by Rovers supporters.

Of course, in between all of this I see my boy, Keagan. He has finally passed his driving test so can come home by himself. However he has a horse now that he is training ahead of the new Point to Point season starting so I only see him once every 2 -3 weeks. 

Right that's me. Will pop round to see you all over the next few days.
Take care Zoe xx
 

24 comments:

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I am SO proud of you! What an achievement you've accomplished over the past few months... I take my hat off to you Zoe, for all the organisation and setting up, not easy at all. And you will make such a difference to the disabled fans to come to matches. You deserve a medal.
Hugs LLJ 13 xxx
PS It's lovely to see you back on the desks :-D xx

Annie said...

It’s so good to see you joining in this week and hear more of what you’ve been up to. Of course I see lots of it on Facebook but I don’t always have time to read it all in detail on there. You are one impressive lady. You not only cope with your own problems but you do your best to make life easier for others...and I’m proud to call you my friend....although of course as yet we’ve not met in real life. Keep up the good work and rest when you can.
Big hugs,
Annie x #10

Liz said...

You're doing a fabulous job for the Rovers, Zoe. They're lucky to have you in this important role for the club. UTG!!! xx

Sarah Brennan said...

Good for you Zoe. I am a Stoke City season ticket holder and my friend on the other side of the desk had to use wheelchair seats for a couple of seasons when she was ill. Thankfully she is now recovered and we are back in our usual seats, but I know how important such groups are. Well done for all your hard work and the success it is already bringing. Good luck to Bristol Rovers this season too! Happy WOYWW Sarah #23

glitterandglue said...

Zoe - that is just wonderful! Many, many congratulations on all that you have achieved in this past twelve months. You have done so much - I'm so thrilled for you. And at the same time, you are supporting your friend who so desperately needs your company and help. Well done.
Take care dear girl. Look after yourself in all this. God bless.
Margaret #3

Plush Possum Studio said...

Congrats and welcome back!
Happy WOYWW!
Rose #31

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Zoe, how lovely to see you back, and your story is amazing and inspiring! I cannot begin to imagine the work that has gone into this project,and I can understand how much it will be appreciated by all who need the facilities you are setting up.Like the others, I'm very proud of what you've achieved. Love and hugs, Shaz (& Doug). XxX

Di said...

What a star you are Zoe!! Well done on taking on a role which really does mean pushing yourself so much harder than many have to. No doubt it's hugely appreciated - proud of you kid!

Hugs

Di xx

Neet said...

Well done for taking on such a role. It needed someone like you to do it justice - good on ya gal! I hope you continue to enjoy doing all this work which I am sure is massively appreciated by home and away fans.
Great news about Keagan having his own horse, you must be so proud of him and he of you. What a great fduo you two are.
Hugs, Neet 12 xx

Helen said...

I can;t believe it's been that long since you posted either, but what a great reason (mostly) for you being absent. Hope your friend is progressing, I am sure she is very thankful for your help and support. Good on you with the Bristol Rovers "stuff" lol. I follow with interest on FB etc. Helen #4

Julia Dunnit said...

Wow Zoe. WOw. Your work and experience will be a benchmark and template for other clubs. Am immensely proud of and for you, there you are, MAKING THE DIFFERENCE. Well done. Most delighted that despite the effort you have to make, you're enjoying it. Typical of you to find the extra % to give everyone.

Anne said...

Hello Zoe it's good to hear from you and see how things are. Well done on all you have achieved so far and I am sure will go on to achieve. Hope your friend is doing ok, you are a good friend to her. Glad also to hear that your son is doing well. Take care Anne x #16

Lindart said...

Welcome back! You certainly have been busy - what a learning curve you've been on! But it sounds like you have enjoyed every minute of it! It is such a worthwhile cause as well. Perhaps your mojo will return when things settle down a bit! Thanks for sharing, have a great week! Lindart #36

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Well done Zoe, great job. Pleased to hear Keagan is getting on so well too. Have a great week and happy woyww, Angela x11x

Ellie said...

Wow that's is quite a position you have, it's fantastic how you are making a difference!
Ellie #35

Shoshi said...

Zoe, you are totally amazing... I am in awe of what you are achieving, considering the physical constraints you live with daily. I am a lot better off physically but don't manage a fraction of what you do!! Congratulations indeedy on your appointment! Also to be caring for your poor friend too - she is blessed indeed to have such a friend as you. I am not surprised you've been absent from WOYWW for a while, with all that you've been up to. Congratulations to your son too - that's great news.

Thank you for your lovely comment and I do try to follow your excellent advice to take each day at a time and rest when needed - I seem to be doing a lot of that at present! Having another rough day today and still in my kaftan... So glad you like our kitties. They are a great joy and such fun, and they are growing fast, but as my hubby says, not growing UP lol! They can be naughty babies. We lost our 2 old ones 3 weeks apart in the early summer and got these 2 little scamps at the end of July.

Happy belated WOYWW and lovely to see you back,
Shoshi #5

Diana Taylor said...

It's good to see you back desking again, and what a fantastic opportunity for you - no wonder your mojo is having a break with all that going on! Good for you, waving the flag for people with disabilities.
I hope your friend is beginning to cope with her illness, it's very debilitating and she is so very lucky to have such a caring and understanding friend as you.
Hope you have a great week and well done to your son too - what a happy, uplifting post this is!
Diana x #14

BJ said...

Wow, you are doing a great thing, well done you. Thanks for the visit BJ#1

Sue said...

Hi Zo, Well you have been busy. I'm sure your friend is very grateful for all your support.

Your role at the football club sounds great.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Happy WOYWW
Sue #15

Heather M said...

Hi Zoe, nice to meet you. My goodness you gave been a busy lady! Fantastic news and very proud of you - even thought we've only just met! Have a lovely week, Heather #7

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Hi Zoe! Surely it can't be that long since we last saw you! Congratulations on your appointment and how nice of you to support a friend in need. Hope she gets better soon. I also hope you'll still find some time to do some crafting and joint WOYWW in the future. Thanks for visiting earlier, all the best zsuzsa @ InkyDinkyDoodle #22

sandra de said...

Wow Zoe, your life has certainly ramped up a few notches and what an amazing role you have. Couldn't of gone to a better person. Love the pics.
sandra de

Monica said...

No wonder you have no time to post and that is such a great achievement. Nice you are able to help a friend; Very lucky to have friend like you.
Please pop in whenever you can and let us know how you are doing.
Monica #2
Thanks for visiting me I am soooo late this week.

Kelly said...

Zoe!!!! Welcome back. You have been missed. What a massive undertaking but then when you are passionate about something, no task seems to big. So proud of you and thrilled with your own progress. Creative Blessings!Kelly #27